Actually IMHO, I think the iPad should be called the MyPad. I'll explain below -
GREAT JOB
So these are some first impressions of a few days of iPad usage. Right out in front I have to say Apple got a lot right in the iPad. In fact I'll go as far as saying they pretty well nailed it on how a tablet interface should work. The touch menus and general operation and layout work well. Some of the touch operations can be frustrating but over all very useable.But using a touch screen means the screen will become a smudgy mess in short order. However this is the nature of tablets and the smudging does not horribly affect clarity. That said, I would like the option of say a 2 inch touch space below the screen where I could choose to make some of the finger gestures used in common operation.
THE MyPad and iTunes Whaaaaaa ?
Now we come to a couple of issues - the iPad is very well targeted for its consumer environment. I had expected it to be very simple - but I also expected it to have some of the elements of Apples OS X operating system. And by that I expected it to allow the creation of user accounts. That would allow an account for Mom and Dad and one for the kids --- the kids account could be a PG13 and the adult account have more open access etc. Nope - every one uses the same space - everything is wide open. Thats why I call it a MyPad ... I love my wife but do I want her massive collection of show-tunes and chick-music to be lumped in with my blues-rock-jazz ---- I don't think so. And thats just on the music side ... This is MyPad, she'll have to get her own.
Now we come to the iTunes issue. I like iTunes and am an avid user - but I was a little floored that to really even use an iPad you need to have an iTunes account. I do not think that is an option - because your password for your iTunes account is the master password (admin password) for the iPad. YIKES ! Now I do see why Apple did this and it comes back to a term I used in another post - DRM or Digital Rights Management. With all that copyrighted material that the iPad is designed to deliver (music - movies - books) Apple uses iTunes as the master gate-keeper. However, there are better ways to create wall of sorts to control the copyrighted materials.
Neither of the above issues are issues for a consumer device ---- but for a device to be used in a multi-user classroom and our district enterprise network - not so good.
A NATURAL READER
OK - I again have to give kudos. Apples iBook on the iPad is fantastic. In fact its so good I had to really try it out and I purchased a Sci-Fi book to read. I've read it over the weekend and it was a very natural and pleasurable experience. I've also downloaded a classic book for free - The Complete Adventures of Sherlock Holmes. I'll dive into some of those stories next. Now how this would work in the classroom I'm not sure - more work there to do.
AN ACCESSORY RICH ENVIRONMENT
This is both a plus and a minus. One word - BlueTooth. Want to listen to music or a movie --- you need a BlueTooth headphone set. Which compared to a mini-jack headphone is $$. Now multiply $$ times how many units you have. And I quiver in fear at 15 - 20 - or 30 BlueTooth headsets all negotiating a connection with fidgety impatient students. The good news ----- its a totally wire free experience to use. Joy
A HAM-STRUNG COMPUTER
A final comment on the overall Apple approach - as we have heard and speculated, the iPad is a consumer device really aimed at consumption of media. Versus a laptop - desktop - or netbook which are computers that allow for the easy creation of content be that documents or movies etc. To be fair I've not gone thru this process yet on the iPad - yet .... but I fear it will make me long for the relative ease of using a netbook.
So thats my initial impression from a technical and K12 support point of view ...
OK - I have to give Todd credit here as he did discover that the iPad does have a headphone jack. DOH !
ReplyDelete